English for Competitive Examinations(Includes Descriptive and Objective Tests)
• SSC-CGL – Tier I & Tier-II, SSC CSHL Exams
• Other SSC Exams – MTS, CAPF, Stenographers, FCI, CPO, JE
• IBPS CRP Exams – PO, SO, RRB, Clerk
• Other Banking Exams SBI, RBI, NABARD etc
• Insurance Exams – LIC, GIC, NICL etc.
• UPSC Civil Services, IFS, CDS, NDA, Engineering Services
• Other UPSC Exams – SCRA, CISF, EPFO, IES/ISS, CASF, CISF-ASI
• State Civil Services Exams
• Other Entrance Examinations – CLAT, NCHMCT-JEE, GATE
• Railway Recruitment Board (RRB)
• DMRC Recruitment Tests
• DSSSB UGC-NET/SLET
• MBA Entrance Exams – MAT, SNA
- Publisher : S. Chand Publishing (25 September 2020); Ground floor, B-1, D-1, Mohan Co-operative Industrial Estate (MCIE), Mathura Road, New Delhi -110044
- Language : English
- Paperback : 632 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9352837568
- ISBN-13 : 978-9352837564
- Item Weight : 500 g
- Dimensions : 20 x 14 x 4 cm
- Country of Origin : India
ABOUT THE BOOK
● UNIQUE & PEERLESS- For the first time ever Wren & Martin is available in a new Avatar that will help aspirants succeed in English for all important competitive examinations that are held in India throughout the year! Yes, for the first time such authoritative content is available for both ‘descriptive’ and ‘objective’ portions between the covers.
● ENGAGING & MOTIVATING – Designed like a concepts-cum-workbook, this book promises to keep aspirants engaged with the content by compelling them to do mental gymnastics when they study using this book. The aspirant will feel motivated to learn until the time they master the section of the book that they want to. In the process, attention span will improve.
● TOOLBOX APPROACH – It contains real-world actual questions from recent examinations (based on memory), tightly wrapped around the concepts. Visual connectors have been used throughout the book to connect concepts with questions. This ensures that the aspirants develop an inventory of tools of application of concepts which they can choose and apply when faced with examination.
● PRACTICE BOOSTER – Apart from plenty of in-text questions and concept-checkers, every section in the book ends with question banks, offering ample practice opportunity. Overall, the book has 23 question banks.
● PREP STRATEGY ENHANCER – Since the variety of questions in actual examinations is wide, for making preparation efficacious we have included an index of examination questions and two tables containing topic-wise distribution of questions by examinations, so that the aspirants know what is more important and what is less. This will result in an efficient use of time and a sharply focused preparation.
● ONE-STOP SOLUTION – Our team of competitive examination experts in the English paper has filled in with content for those topics which Wren & Martin does not address sufficiently, so that that the book becomes a one-stop solution for all aspirants.
Table of Content
Book 1 Grammar
1.The Sentence 2. Subject and Predicate 3. The Phrase and The Clause 4. Parts of Speech 5. The Noun: Kinds of Nouns 6. The Noun: Gender 7. The Noun: Number 8. The Noun: Case 9. The Adjective 10. Comparison of Adjectives 11. Adjectives Used As Nouns 12.Position of Adjectives 13. The Correct Use of Some Adjective 14. Articles 15. Personal Pronouns 16. Reflexive and Emphatic Pronouns 17. Demonstrative, Indefinite and Distributive Pronouns 18. Relative Pronouns 19. Interrogative Pronouns1 20. The Verb: Transitive and Intransitive Verbs 21. Verbs of Incomplete Predication 22. Active and Passive Voice 23. Mood 24. Tenses: Introduction 25. The Uses of The Present and Past Tenses 26. The Future 27. The Verb: Person and Number 28. The Infinitive 29. The Participle 30. The Gerund 31. Irregular Verbs 32. Auxiliaries and Modals 33.Conjugation of The Verb Love 34. The Adverb 35. Comparison of Adverbs 36. Formation of Adverbs 37. Position of Adverbs 38. The Preposition 39. Words Followed By Prepositions 40. The Conjunction 41. Some Conjunctions and Their Uses 42. The Interjection 43. The Same Word Used As Different Parts of Speech
Book 2 Composition
44. Agreement of The Verb with The Subject 45. Nouns and Pronouns 46. Adjectives 47. Verbs 48. Adverbs 49. Conjunctions 50. Order of Words 51. Punctuation
Descriptive Tests • Q-Bank 1: Grammar (Do As Directed Questions) • Q-Bank 2: Sentence Correction
Objective Tests • Q-Bank 1: Error Identification • Q-Bank 2: Sentence Improvement
SECTION II: TEST OF VOCABULARY 52. Word List
Descriptive Tests • Q-Bank 3: Vocabulary Test •
Objective Tests • Q-Bank 3: Test of Antonyms • Q-Bank 4: Test of Synonyms • Q-Bank 5: Cloze Test • Q-Bank 6: One Word Substitution Test • Q-Bank 7: Sentence Completion Test
SECTION III: IDIOMS AND PHRASES
53a. Idioms 53b. Idioms (Continued)
Objective Tests • Q-Bank 4. Idioms and Phrases Test
Descriptive Tests • Q-Bank 8. Idioms and Phrases Test
SECTION IV: ORDERING OF WORDS IN A SENTENCE & SENTENCES IN A PARAGRAPH
54. Order of Words 55 Paragraph – Writings
Objective Tests • Q-Bank 9: Rearrangement of Jumbled Words in a Sentence Test • Q-Bank 10: Rearrangement of Sentences in a Paragraph Test
SECTION V: ANALYSIS AND TRANSFORMATION OF SENTENCES (INCLUDING ACTIVE AND PASSIVE VOICE)
56. Analysis of Simple Sentences 57. Phrases 58. Clauses 59. Sentences: Simple, Compound and
Complex 60. More About Noun Clauses 61. More About Adjective Clauses 62. More About Adverb Clauses
63. Analysis of Complex Sentences (Clause Analysis) 64. Analysis of Compound Sentences (Clause Analysis) 65. Transformation of Sentences 66. Transformation of Sentences (Contd.)
Descriptive Tests • Q-Bank 5: Transformation of Sentences
Objective Tests • Q-Bank 11: Active Voice to Passive Voice Test • Q-Bank 12: Passive Voice to Active Voice Test
SECTION VI: SYNTHESIS OF SENTENCES
AND DIRECT-INDIRECT SPEECH
67. Synthesis of Sentences 68. Synthesis of Sentences (Contd.) 69. Synthesis of Sentences (Contd.) 70. The Sequence of Tenses 71. Direct and Indirect Speech
Descriptive Tests • Q-Bank 6: Synthesis of Sentences Test
Objective Tests • Q-Bank 13: Direct to Indirect Speech Test • Q-Bank 14: Indirect to Direct Speech Test
SECTION VII: WRITTEN COMPOSITION
• 72: Comprehension • 73: Precis-Writing • 74: Essay-Writing
Descriptive Tests • Q-Bank 7: Reading Comprehension
Objective Tests • Q-Bank 15: Reading Comprehension
Descriptive Tests • Q-Bank 8: Précis Writing Test • Q-Bank 9: UPSC Essays Test
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.